View topic - TIME TO START ASKING

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:25 pm 
:?: When is the convention coming to the west :?:

Post subject: TIME TO START ASKING
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:34 pm 
Randall, The last convention on the West Coast was back in 2000 in Seattle. Had one in Albuquerque a few years ago. It only takes someone willing to host one to have another one out your way. I don't know if anyone has made a bid for 2011 yet but I know the board was looking for someone to host it next year. You need to get the bid in for 2011 before the convention in July. Talk to some of the other Club members out there. There is plenty of help available from members that have hosted a convention for anyone interested in doing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:40 pm 
:) Less,
I might be interested, who all do I talk too? I am in central WA., Barrett Taft is in west WA. woukld he be the man to talk too? :?

:o Randy :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:22 pm 
Randy, Barrett would be the person to talk to. He should be able to tell you everything that is involved in hosting a convention and hopefully who out there would be willing to help. Club president Les Pesavento would be next on the list. He is hosting this years convention and you would probably have to make the bid through him. I don't think he moniters this forum but his e-mail is lesterpes@gmail.com. Someone else you might want to talk to is Dean Mullinax. He was the convention coordinator but I don't think he is doing that now. Dean's e-mail: DeS4me@comcast.net. Go for it. I wouldn't mind vacationing on the West Coast next year. Les

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:25 pm 
Randy,

I would encourage you to follow through on your thoughts to host a convention. Together with a great group of Club members, we hosted a convention in '95 in the Asheville, NC, area. At the time, Barrett Taft lived nearby in Greenville, SC. He and his wife Shirley were an integral part of that Convention's success. Barrett provided tremendous support and that was when he was working full time at Michelin Tire. He is now retired and would likely be eager to assist.

Hosting a Convention requires a lot of work, but as I'm sure Les will attest to is a very rewarding experience. Good luck!

Mark

Post subject: 2011 convention
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:29 pm 
Randy,

I am the convention coordinator for the NDC. I, with the Buckeye Chapter, hosted the 1993 convention near Dayton, OH. Barrett, Les, and Dean would be excellent choices to also talk to regarding how to put on one of our conventions. I can be reached at nobledesoto@ametitech.net, or by calling 937-429-2361. (Just remember that Ohio is in the Eastern Time Zone, so I'm three hours ahead of you.) I have heard from one member who is thinking about putting in a bid for 2011, but he hasn't done so yet. Hope to hear from you soon.

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:29 pm 
Hi All, the host hotel (the Crowne Plaza) says they don't have any of the blocked rooms left for the entire four nights. If you are only staying a night or two you might still get a room there. We done some searching on the internet and think a good alternative might be the Pear Tree Inn. It is close by, has good reviews and the rate is about $74. We are planning on making a trip down there next week and check out this hotel while we are there. Will let you know what we find out. They don't have a pool or hot tub if that is a requirement for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:07 am 
Hey Les...the Pear Tree Inn is a lower priced chain in the Drury Inn family of hotels. When I traveled regularly for business, I stayed at Drury Inns whenever possible. I found the quality consistent, the people friendly and the extras of good value. I recall reading somewhere that Drury maintains their quality by insisting on quality construction materials (all brick, for example) and by not franchising their hotels. All Drury Inns are company owned, so that they can maintain the quality standards they expect. I would think the Pear Tree Inn would be a safe bet.

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:18 am 
Thanks for the input Mark. I knew it is a Drury Inn but at that price I assumed it is a low budget Drury Inn. Doesn't have a pool or hot tub but we don't care about that. It is two star rated, the reviews are good and they have a money back guarantee if the room isn't satisfactory. All sounds good but it is reassuring to hear from someone that is familiar with the chain. Les