View topic - New Gas Tank

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

Post subject: New Gas Tank
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:33 am 
The '61 Desoto that we are restoring has a gas tank that has a couple of rust holes in it. We wish to purchase a replacement. Any body know of preferrable vendors for gas tanks? Thanks.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:17 pm 
Mike,

From the WPC (Walter P. Chrysler) Club magazine is this info regarding reproduction fuel tanks: Al Kvatek of Valley Vintage Auto currently has '57 - '59 MoPar gas tanks available with '61-'62 Chrysler tanks coming soon. I'm no expert on the '61 but I'm guessing the fuel tanks interchange between Chrysler and DeSoto. Many years ago I lived in northern OH where Al's business is based; he was reputable then and I believe that is still the case, although I've not bought anything from him in years. He claims to have over 100,000 NOS MoPar parts. Here is his contact info: Valley Vintage Auto Parts (440) 355-4085; e-mail = valleyvintage@vvap.com. Website: http://www.vvap.com/

Good luck with the project!

Mark K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:36 pm 
Mark: Thanks for that info. I am glad to have Al's info as it seems he could help us on some other stuff we need. I got to looking at the tank and have decided to at least check into having an expert repair the tank. It has two small rust holes in it (about the size of a penny or smaller). Hemmings shows some folks that say they can fix such (and rebuild the gas guage sender to boot).
Thanks again for the name.
Mike
We are on the "long road back" on the '61 Desoto. It completely and totally to pieces with only the front and rear suspension left on it and these will be coming off soon (we had to leave on to be able to back it out for sandblasting which I did earlier this week). There are a few rust issues (drivers floor pan, trunk pan and extensions, some rust around the rear window frame and a few spots on the very bottom of the door (not on the exterior door skin but on the bottom of the door itself). The factory(?) applied a thick coat of undercoating on the underside, inside the fenders, on the inner fenders and on the floor of the interior. This helped preserve this car, although it has been in the South it's entire life (bought new by the owner's grandfather in 1961 from Robinson Brothers dealership in Jackson, Ms.)

Post subject: Tank fix...
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:16 am 
Your tank can be fixed by any reputable radiator shop. I also own a 1960 Rambler wagon, and it's tank had a pinhole leak in it. When they stripped the undercoating from it, they found 15 sizeable holes! The holes were fixed, and they also cleaned and relined the inside of the tank. I paid them $60 for the job.

There is also a re-line kit from Eastwood Company if a shop that you find can only repair the hole but not reline the tank.

This route may be more cost effective than buying a new tank, but whichever way you choose I wish ya the best of luck! :)

Jessica

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:50 am 
Vally Vintage is a number 1 operation. They have all manner of old parts, and have saved my bacon more than once. If you have a part number, they can tell you wether they have it, almost instantly. GREAT people to work with...

Post subject: Look for.......
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:33 pm 
......... 20 gallon '61 Plymouth & Dodge tanks. Also '61 & '62 Chrysler, '62 Dodge 880, and '61 Plymouth with 23 gallon tank. You can use the 23 gallon tank but you also need the straps for that tank. Wagon tanks won't work.

Good Luck
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:15 am 
Mike....here is a '61 being parted in the event you need something for your project '61:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/1719868370.html

Attachments:
'61 Parts Car.jpg
'61 Parts Car.jpg [ 8.98 KiB | Viewed 2670 times ]

Post subject: Re: Look for.......
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:04 am 
smcmanus wrote:
......... 20 gallon '61 Plymouth & Dodge tanks. Also '61 & '62 Chrysler, '62 Dodge 880, and '61 Plymouth with 23 gallon tank. You can use the 23 gallon tank but you also need the straps for that tank. Wagon tanks won't work.

Good Luck
Steve

Mark: Thanks much. We will certainly look into this car. Looks like it could have some stuff we sure nuff need.
Mike