View topic - Seat Belts

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

Post subject: Seat Belts
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:16 am 
Have any of you folks put in seatbelts in any older Desotos (the one I am restoring is a '61)? Any thoughts as to the best vendors for a 3 point seat belt? Thanks for any direction on this issue.
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:22 am 
Mike, this is an intetesting topic. I know that my 53 Desoto does not have the seat belts adequately secured.I have a large thck washer and nut with lock washer secured to a solid floor. But i understand this can pull out. I would like to secure this to the frame. This is of course only two point, yes, it would be good to come up with a three point system. Do you have a B-pillar? This could be helpful for the installation of a three point system.

I do not know if this is good thinking, but I figure my 53 is very rigid and is going to crush anything that wants to cut in front of me or otherwise. The new cars are supposed to crush thereby absorbing energy.

My advice is to be careful in drilling holes in to your B-pillar. Get some expert advice.

Post subject: seatbelt vendor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:51 pm 
Hi Mike-glad to hear you are installing belts. I just finished installing belts in a 49 Chrysler wagon and bought the belts from a long time vendor-Andover Auto.com 410-381-6700. They have an interactive website where you can order online too.
The site offers a large selection of colors to match your upholstery and good quality mounting hardware. I think 1960 or so is well before the 3 point seatbelt era in U. S. cars so not sure how you will engineer the pillar post connection. My first car with 3 point belts was a new 71 Chevy Impala which I crashed into an overturned truck in the fog in 1981 and walked away partly thanks to the 3 point belts.
As far as the lap belt mounting-if you look at factory mounts on 60s and 70 cars-they were just a welded on washer not much different in size from the large washers which come with a mounting kit. I think if you manage to pull these washers through the floor pan in an accident , you'll need a miracle to survive Paul. These factory belts were not mounted to the chassis My 63 Pontiac Tempest, my first new car with factory belts, had a unit body so there was no frame rail to attach to but later cars had the same setup.
Martin Lum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:47 am 
My Mechanical engineering background and intuition agrees with you Martin on the pullout of the seatbelts. I am just listening to what others have said on this website. I have not done any calcs but it sure seems a good solid 53 floor with a 2" dia washer will have to rip the whole floor out to let go. I would bel;ieve the 61 floor is not less substantial. Large, thick, rigid washers are important. And a solid floor.