View topic - 55 Fireflite Steering

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

Post subject: 55 Fireflite Steering
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:39 pm 
Hi Guy's

I need some help!!!! Im from New Zealand and have a 55 291 Desoto that had been converted to rhd (poor attempt) around 40 years ago. Im in the finishing stages of returning it to lhd and need some information to help me complete this job.

•The chassis had been repaired and I cannot identify exactly where the idler arm bracket bolted on. I need some reference points that I can measure from so I can drill the bracket mounting holes.
• :? I don’t have an original idler arm bracket so either need to source one or I can make one if I can get the dimensions.

A simple drawing/photo's with this info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Brent
brent.mcfelin@riotinto.com

Post subject: 55 Fireflite Steering
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:40 am 
Welcome Brent. I am sure someone will help you out with this. I have a 53 but I believe the chassis diagram for the 55 in the shop manual would have a drawing to help you out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:28 am 
Hi Brent,

Here is a picture of the aforementioned diagram in the shop manual. I hope that this will help. Good luck!

Jessica

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:29 am 
Brent , i,m from nz to , will you be allowed to put it back on the road as a left hand drive , it sounds like its been here for quite a while as a right hand drive , and would be in the system as a RH drive , i know they are getting a lot stricter on LH drive