View topic - NEED ADVICE for 1951 Custom overheating problem.

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:33 am 
I have a 51 Custom with an original flathead six motor and it was getting really hot. Changed out the thermostat for a "summertime temp thermostat, and it still seems to be getting pretty hot especially at idle. Is this normal, or is there something I'm missing. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:36 am 
what temp does it get to and how long does it take to get hot , i always dred taking my car in parades as the temp rises pretty quick with all the stop ,start and idling ,they were a hot running motor , for your car the normal operating temp should be the same as my 54 , about 160..i was told by an old time mechanic a few years ago that the chrysler (family six,s )were not over heating till they reached boiling point which is 212 degrees

Post subject: Some thoughts
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:44 pm 
Remove the radiator and take it to a radiator shop for a good cleaning. They can remove all the scale and sludge that has built up inside.

Replace the water pump. You can get a brand new one a NAPA. The impeller may have eroded away.

Make sure you have the correct thermostat. You may need a bypass thermostat. Just because your new thermostat fits in the hole doesn't mean it is correct. Most new thermostats are non bypass.

While you have the water pump and radiator off, it is time to replace the water distribution tube. This tube directs water from the pump to hot spots inside the block.

This is a good time to wash all the crude out of the block too!

Of course your fan belt might just be slipping so check that first. Make sure it is the correct belt and isn't all glazed up.

Good Luck
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:50 am 
Yes, clean everything up like Steve says. And use a 50/50 mix of distilled water and antifreeze/coolant. Do not use tap water unless you know your water is very mineral and total dissolved solids free.