View topic - Let's All Go To The Drive In, Let's All Go To The Drive In..

It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:58 pm 
One of the many attractions in and around Springfield is the Route 66 Drive In Theater. It's a fully functioning drive in near the center of town. How about gathering up a few DeSotos and crash the drive in? I'm thinking Thursday evening would be a good night. Any takers???

http://www.route66-drivein.com/

Mark K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:39 pm 
Mark,
Keep in mind that unless the theater has the window mount speakers, most Drive-In's now have the sound for the movie transmitted through the car's FM radio. Unles they have upgraded their radio's, DeSoto's only came with AM radio's...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:16 pm 
Good idea Mark but we don't have fm so we might not be able to do it. There are some other Route 66 attractions around Springfield that some might want to do. The Cozy Dog Drive-In is a Route 66 icon but we were disappointed when we ate there a couple of years ago. It is a corn dog and we didn't think it was a very good corn dog. OK maybe for a snack but not a meal. One place we did enjoy was Bill Shea's Texaco Station on the North side of town. They have a nice little museum there and Bill was interesting to talk to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:48 am 
Hey, it's a drive in theater. Who watches the movie, anyway :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:42 am 
I was thinking along the same lines Mark. When were teenagers it didn't matter if we had sound or what was playing. But, at my age what is playing matters and the sound needs to be plenty loud so I can hear it. Hey, maybe we could put three or four people in the trunk and save a couple of bucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:16 am 
Hey guys, have no fear! One thing you could do is bring a portable radio or boombox along with you and that would handle your sound issues! This way you can still have fun at the movies!

Won't be able to make it this year... first time in 13 years I will have missed a convention. Money just hasn't been friendly this year. All of you please have fun and be safe!

DeSotoly,
Dean Mullinax

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:02 pm 
We are going to miss you Dean. Here is an idea for you to kick around. If next years convention was closer to home, maybe Charleston, you wouldn't have to travel. Sue and I still think the 1999 convention in Charleston was one of the more interesting ones we have been to. Wouldn't mind going there again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:56 pm 
We could tour the Charleston paper mill LOL