View topic - wtb fuel pump repair kit,and or 6v electrical fuelpump.

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:17 pm 
My membrane is gone and I checked my parts, I have a nos fuel pump but with a shorter arm, I think it may fit the powermaster models. So I am in the market for a repair kit or a fuel pump for my V8 276 Engine. And or I will replace my pump with a electrical one and put a plate on to cover the hole any suggestions for a good pump?
regards from Norway.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:31 am 
Ray, I would try the parts in the fuel pump with the small arm. I have a 276 Hemi in my 53 and someone sent me a fuel pump that I subsequently found out was fora Powermaster. It worked fine so the diaphragm/membrane could be the same.
Otherwise, I would try our Vendors List off to the left as you read this. Andy Bernbaums, Kanter, and Mitchells are some good ones to try. I would try to get them to rebuild your existing rather than have them send you one already rebuilt OR you could end up with one of a different style or even application. If you have a 53 I understand it has a fuel pump with a glass bowl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:06 am 
The fuel pump on our 55 Fireflite has been bypassed with an electric aftermarket unit. I am assuming that it is no longer working. I'd like to get it rebuilt, so it is good to know whether or not a kit is available. Are these hard to rebuild yourself, or is it better to just have it sent out for repair?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:07 am 
Paul thanks for the tips, I will try the vendors list. It is my diaphragm that is gone.
I have rebuilt some during my time with military vehicles. The most difficult issue to me was the first time,since the arm on the diaphragm is not to be removed it is hammered on between the washers.
I grinded of the head drilled a small hole in the senter of the bolt and made treads, inside found a small screw with a stop washer to go in there.
Then I cut out the rubber diaphragm a bit bigger than the diameter of the bottom of the pump house.
So the next time it is easy and done in just five to ten minutes to make a new one.The biggest issue is to get rubber that can stand all the additives of modern fuel.
And yes my pump has the glass bowl under it.
I still want to make a bypass and use a electrical one.
Take care and have a happy convention all!