View topic - Website upgrade complete

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

Post subject: Website upgrade complete
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:24 pm 

The website upgrade was completed this morning. I'm sure there are still a few bugs to squish, so if you notice any issues, post here and we will work them out.

I forgot to backup the message board database once more before the conversion, so we lost all posts to the message board after Aug 4th. Sorry about that!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:18 pm 

What is the optimum screen resolution? I'm set up for 1024x768 but the font is quite large and I have to use a vertical & horizontal scroll bars just to see posts... Also, on the Message board page, there appears to be a menu superimposed in the center of the home web page; looks like it may be what was previously located on the far left.
Thanks.
BTW, Windows XP SP3 & IE 7 patched up to date.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:52 pm 

The site should automatically rezise based on your resolution, so there is really no optimal resolution.

I tested with Firefox 3.6.8 and IE6 and it looked ok...but once I found a machine with IE7 and IE8, it didn't look right. I changed the site theme to a different theme that seems to be more compatible with IE. Let me know if it looks better now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:32 am 

Rick...looks good so far. Nice job.

BTW...I'm using Windows 7.0 and Firefox.

Mark K.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:45 am 

Looks fine now from home. IE8 & Windows 7. Will check IE7 & XP from work tomorrow. Good job Rick!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:47 pm 

From work is now fine also.
Good job Rick!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:37 am 

Site looks great now. Congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:13 pm 

Good Job, Rick... :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:39 am 

Yes, looks great and works. Thank you Rick. It actually works and looks great with my old Win 98 computer as well as the Windows 7 laptop.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:02 am 

Rick...any change in the type and size of attachments that can be posted? I searched for something with attachment details as before but could not find anything.

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:29 pm 

The message board software is a new major release over what we were running, so I'm sure many things have changed.

The maximum attachment size is 8MB. This is limited by our hosting provider, I don't have any control over that. I have set up the board so that you may attach up to 30 files to a post, although you shouldn't ever need to attach that many files.

These are the types of files (and extensions) that the board will allow you to attach:

Image types: gif,jpeg,jpg,png,tga,tif

Archive types: ace,gtar,gz,rar,tar,zip

Plain Text: c,cpp,diz,h,hpp,txt

Document types: ai,doc,dot,pdf,ppt,ps,xls

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:33 pm 

For your consideration. Maybe this is a configurable option that can be adjusted. One inconvience noted is that the "Previous" and "Next" options are only at the top of the thread. I like to read from the top down and then chose previous or next. This worked well with the prior version of the message board. I do like the new color scheme and look. Thanks for your efforts in providing this message board. Nice job.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:53 am 

Rick...good work on the attachment list. That alone is worth the upgrade! Let the posting of attachments begin!!!

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:05 am 

8 MB ! That is great. I have always had to adjust the size of my files and got tired of doing this. I would just email the interested party. Now everything can be shared. Super ***** job Rick.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:11 am 

Uhhh....Rick. I just tried to post a 1 MG PDF file and it came back that pdf extensions were not allowed. Can you check into that?

Mark