View topic - 55 Desoto Fuel Pump Needed

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:09 pm 

I am in need of a new fuel pump for my 55 Fireflite Coronado. 291 ci V8 engine. If you have a spare, and it is rebuildable I would be interested as I can purchase a kit from Hal Houghton. Part # 1637366.

Thank you,

Jessica

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:21 am 

If you can't find a re-buildable fuel pump, try Valley Vintage Auto Parts at 440-355 4085 for a rebuilt unit for around $60.

Mac

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:34 am 

Jessica...here is one on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1951-54- ... ccessories

The pump looks correct for the '55, however, though it says rebuilt that was likely many years ago. The pump may need another rebuild after all these years.

Good bidding!

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:47 pm 

I'm surprised no one else mentioned this..take the fuel pump off, use a chevy plate to block the opening and buy a universal 6/12 volt electric pump from NAPA and mount it in line on the frame rail beneath the doors (take a section out of the fuel line there), and wire it to a hot source that's on only when the key is on. I used the horn relay hot. it's about 18 months now and no problem on my 1955. dave allard :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:37 am 

Thanks for the help/replies. I purchased a later model mechanical pump from a 318 that fits after getting some advice from a fellow '55 owner. This will at least get me by until I rebuild the engine and find an original to rebuild.

Thanks again for everything.