View topic - Firedome - Fireflight question

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:45 pm 
The title says my car is a 1955 Firedome S-22, and I have the original chrome body name (Firedome) trim that fits.

Photos on the website show Firedomes and Fireflights that all have fancier chrome strips on the side than mine. Sportsman is in the mix too.

The history of Desoto book I bought doesn't really get in this much detail.

Why is my trim so simple, and what's the name of my model?

THANKS

Attachments:
File comment: 1955 Desoto
1955-S22-ryman.jpg
1955-S22-ryman.jpg [ 48.37 KiB | Viewed 4122 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:13 am 

Your car is a Firedome which was the value priced series for 1955. There are differences in the engine and trim

When production of the 55s began only the Fireflite 2 door models ( the convertible and the hardtop(Sportsman)) featured the sweep. Just before announcement time, the sweep was made available as an option on the Fireflite 4 door and the Firedomes. A bit later the station wagon got the option

if you post your VIN we can tell where it was made and where it fell in the production run.

Please check your fuel door-later models have an indentation on the fender to mate with the bump out on the door-early models do not have the indentation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:20 am 

As Bob indicated, your car is a 1955 S-22 Firedome. You have a two tone car without the color sweep. It appears your car has the 372 paint code which has the Avon Blue lower and the Surf White upper. Your standard interior trim code would have been No. 453, blue cloth and vinyl. Cars like yours without the color sweep were made throughout the model year. Fireflites and Firedomes with a solid color or a two tone without the color sweep would have the single stainless trim as yours does. Those with the color sweep had stainless bordering the top and bottom of the sweep.

Mac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:32 pm 
The VIN is:

THANKS for the information.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:10 pm 

Bill,

It would be interesting and perhaps helpful if you could climb under the hood and write down the paint and exterior codes from your car's data plate located on the left side of the firewall. We could then tell you with certainty how your car was finished when it left the factory.

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:08 am 

Bill,

Your Serial Number (55191796) suggests early production, likely late 1954. According to the '55-'56 MoPar parts book, the serial number range for Detroit built Firedomes was:

Starting = 55,185,000
Ending = 55,256,392

You can request a copy of your build sheet from Chrysler if you'd like to know for certain the build date. For an example of what you would learn from such an exercise, read the following post on this message board: http://www.desoto.org/phpbbforum/viewto ... f=1&t=3401

Mark K.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:15 am 

Attached (hopefully!) is an interesting dealer-only salesman training piece of literature listing the differences between the Fireflite and Firedome series.

Attachments:
Both Beauties.tif
Both Beauties.tif [ 320.05 KiB | Viewed 4030 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:41 am 

Webmaster Rick tells me that we can now post PDF files, so...if you are having difficulty opening the previously attached TIF file, here is the "Both Beauties" '55 comparison of the Firedome and Fireflite series in PDF format.

Mark

Attachments:
Both Beauties x3.pdf [254.9 KiB]
Downloaded 213 times