View topic - Desperately need a Temperature Gauge for a '51 DeSoto Custom

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:44 pm 

Hello all, I desperately need a temp gauge for a '51 Desoto Custom. I am looking for a close to NOS item as possible. If you have and are willing to sell, please let me know soon and we can discuss. Please have pictures ready too. Thanks everyone!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:19 am 

Does a 53 one fit and work?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:52 am 

My '46 - '54 parts book says '51 & '52 six cylinder share the same gauge, however, there is a part number change for the gauge during the '51 model year:

S15S (Deluxe) up to s/n 6284019 and S15C (Custom) up to s/n 50237165 use p/n 1383753

S15S (Deluxe) after s/n 6284019 and S15C (Custom) after s/n 50237165 use p/n 1440595

Found on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1951-Des ... ccessories

Bid to win!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:12 pm 

Christopher-you are in luck-5 vendors on Parts Voice list a #1440595. The least expensive in my experience is Valley Vintage 440-355-4085. The lower part # gage must have been only for early production-it does not show in my 53 Chrysler parts book so #595 would have been the replacement gage
Martin Lum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:51 pm 

Hi Christopher,
See my photos below and see if this is something you can work with. I have other instumentation and interior parts if you or anyone else might be interested.

Attachments:
File comment: I pulled the temp gauge out of the assembly and found the needle swung all the way to the right. Wether this is normal for being disconnected, I do not know.
'51 DeSoto Temp Gauge.jpg
'51 DeSoto Temp Gauge.jpg [ 1.63 MiB | Viewed 1733 times ]
File comment: Here's the complete gauge assembly. It's used but in great shape with the exception of pitting on the chrome outer ring. If interested, let me know and we'll discuss price. I also have a complete Fuel/Oil gauge, an amp gauge,and Fuel gauge along with the instrument cluster panel, interior handles, and misc. bearings. Please let me know if you or any one else might be interested in any of these items.
51 DeSoto.amp temp.jpg
51 DeSoto.amp temp.jpg [ 1.65 MiB | Viewed 1733 times ]