View topic - 55 desoto

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

Post subject: 55 desoto
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:29 pm 

will fender skirts for a 55 desoto sedan fit a 55 desoto station wagon???

Post subject: Re: 55 desoto
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:43 pm 

Marc...the MoPar parts book says the door repair panel (door skin) are the same for the 4-door sedan and wagon. Therefore, a skirt that fits sedans should fit wagons.

Original '50's era Foxcraft skirts marked as fitting '55 & '56 Chrysler and DeSoto were in fact the same skirt as the '49 - '51 Mercury. As a result, original Foxcraft DeSoto skirts were very difficult to find and if you found them a custom Merc guy wanted a fortune for them. I bought a set years ago for my '55 sedan and test-fitted them. Since they were not designed specifically for the Chrysler and DeSoto, they would not fit a sedan without modification if you didn't want interference with the rear doors. These original Foxcraft skirts were designed to fit over the lip of the rear wheel opening, and there is not enough room between the rear door and wheel opening on a DeSoto sedan to accommodate the skirt.

All this would also apply to a wagon. Soooo...if you have new production skirts, maybe they fit sedans and wagons with no rear door interference. I'd suggest test fitting a set before you buy them or ask if you can return them if they do not fit. Good luck!

Mark

Post subject: Re: 55 desoto
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:55 am 
Marc,
Let me know if you should find a source for the fender skirts for a 55 wagon. I have a 55 wgn. and would possibly be interesed in a set, if the cost was acceptable.
A friend has some 55 parts parts available. All four doors, some of which have trim still on them, front fenders, rear and Frt bumpers. The rear bumper needs some work, but the frt in fairly presentable. There might be some other misc. items as well.
kent