View topic - Information needed on my 54 Firedome Restoration

It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:08 pm 

In middle of a frame off restoration on a 1954 DeSoto Firedome, 4dr sedan

INFO needed? what colors should the rims on a 1954 DeSoto be painted? color of car or black

also what color should the hood hinges and springs be painted? someone told me RED?

on the rear fenders what are the lengths (in inches) of the stainless that runs in the middle of the fender? I was told some 54 DeSotos had stainless, and some had a rubber/plastic welting?

headliner material, is it cloth or vinyl? who is a good company to deal with?

also need the correct carpeting in dark brown, again good company to deal with

I have located a new chrome plater, recommended by a friend who has used the company for over 15yrs..United Plating out of California, they make all the nig shows along the east coast and throughout the U.S. prices are far less that the company I have used for 15yrs. Good turn around time, contact Juan @ 1-626-363-5145..mention my name for his best price!

Attachments:
CIMG3134.JPG
CIMG3134.JPG [ 1.39 MiB | Viewed 1087 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:21 pm 

John,

I might suggest contacting the 1954 model year coordinator, Paul Beyer, who is listed under the resource page. The club roster shows he has a 54 Firedome in #2 condition. His email is in the roster but is not listed here.

On the 1955 models, the hood hinges were black and the springs were red. The trim in the area you reference would be stainless on all 54's. I would guess all rims were black on the 54's. The headliner material should be vinyl of a similar color as the lighter color on your door panels.

Hopefully Paul can confirm the above and answer your other questions.

Mac