View topic - Steering Wheel Clock

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Steering Wheel Clock
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:14 pm 

I'm looking for a winding mechanism for a Benrus FA-14 steering wheel clock. Can anyone provide a lead?

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel Clock
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:58 am 

Go here: http://roadkillontheweb.com/

Contact the webmaster of the site, Lee Exline. Lee is a regular contributor to this board and perhaps the Club's foremost experts on Steering Wheel Clocks.

Good luck!

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:23 am 

Thanks, very much. I have contacted him, via his web site. I will try again.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:21 am 

Lookee here! No reserve!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-Vint ... ccessories

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:30 pm 

I am not sure why there is a rush of missing winders lately but this makes 2 in a month and I have never seen one missing before in 20 years of collecting them. The winders were shipped in the box but removed because they weighed so much they could break off the pivot mount. The one in the Ebay auction was also missing the winder but since the correction was added at a later date someone may have already had their automatic bid entered? Either way the clock guts with no retainer and no winder sold for $182.50

I had a NOS unit that was shipped with the winder and had the broken off pivot so I sold Tom the winder from that unit. I have looked for the replacement part for years and even have the part numbers for it but no luck. Parts for these things just do not exist, So I have one first edition and one second edition parts clock. I figure one of these days I will find a used one that is not working and take the pendulum weight off it? Who knows, I will not toss it away though! It took me a while to find the winder amongst my stuff but Tom should have it by now?

If anyone has not seen the steering wheel clocks page of my website in a while take a look because I did a major re-write a couple months back. http://www.roadkillontheweb.com/clocks.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:45 pm 

Lee, and interested others,

I have received the winding weight, thanks. I won't mount it to the clock, until I understand completely how not to damage the assembly. Regarding clocks sold without winders, I purchased this on eBay about seven years ago and didn't know the difference. It was Lee's website that gave me the clue my Benrus was incomplete, following a renewed interest in my '56 DeSoto Adventurer.

Realizing the Benrus is somewhat generic, compared to the DeSotomatic, etc., I have thought of using the Benrus as a desk clock, once mounting it in something appropriate.

Lee, I suspect the retainer (referenced in your previous post) is what holds the clock in the horn ring - is that correct? Might you have a photo of a retainer, so I could confirm whether I have one, or not. And, how well did these clocks withstand normal service in the horn ring, regarding stem damage due to the winder? Is my clock ready to operate with what I have, or do I need any other parts, e.g., washers or any other special doo-dads?

Thanks, all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:41 pm 

It is when the clock is dropped that the pivot shaft for the winding mechanism can get broken off not during storage or use in a car.

The FA14 was the second series design for the Benrus and was used in 1957-58 applications you would want the first series clock for your 56. I have added pages to my site that show multiple views of the mountings (retainers) but I would suspect that what you have looks like this?
ImageThis is the shipping container for the second series winding. they made many more of them than the retainers to put them in the cars.

You could use a Moparmatic or desotomatic in your Adventurer either one would be correct and the mounting used on the 55-56 Desoto is one of the easiest to recreate and is shown on the bottom of this page.
http://www.roadkillontheweb.com/mounts.html

Your clock is ready to operate with what you have but probably has nothing to hold it together (face to the mechanism) So often these are sold on Ebay as "fits it the horn ring button" and it does not without the special retainers.

Have you watched my Youtube videos about the clocks yet? they help explain things.
They are both on the bottom of the clocks page http://www.roadkillontheweb.com/clocks.html or go to youtube and look for roadkillontheweb to find all of my videos.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:51 pm 

Lee,

Again, thanks very much!

Tom