View topic - 1956 DeSoto Firedome Sportsman 2Dr

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:18 pm 
Hello to All,
I am a new member, and I hope you will be able to give me some advice. My father owned a 56 Seville 2dr, and I have fond memories as a child.
I have an opportunity to purchase a 56 Firedome Sportsman 2 dr, but I want to make sure I am not being robbed.

This is a beautiful original example, white with coral roof and spears, paint is very very nice, but I would still say it has a 20 footer paintjob because there are a few paint chips on the front that have been touched up with a small brush.
Power steering and power brakes.
It has the ORIGINAL interior and it is in EXCELLENT condition including upolstery, headliner, carpets, dash, etc. The only real issue with the interior is a loose thread on the drivers seat. No pitting on chrome anywhere, inside or out. 65,000 miles showing, believed to be original. Underhood looks incredible. Engine may have been rebuilt because it looks freashly painted but all original parts are present. Many original stickers and tags are present and in almost new condition. Wiring looks new. No rust on car, top or bottom, chassis was undercoated. Chassis is not restored all origianl looks 50 years old but no rust. Has optional gasoline fired heater which works. Dual rear antennas, mounted backwards, I think. Replacement fuel pump, non-working orignal included.

Issues:
Loose thread on driver's seat.
There is some evidence of past bodywork, but doesn't look like it was major.
Scrape in chrome on bottom right side of front bumper.
Chrome end cap on rear bumper under right hand tail light assembly is crooked, looks like it could be aligned
Someone installed a red indicater light on the bottom of the dash, indicates when park brake is on
Front stainless (or chrome) hood trim on the front bottom edge of the hood is cracked in the middle

I know that an appraisal requires an inspection to be accurate, but could anyone comment on a price range (value) for this car?

Thanks in advance.

DAP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:37 am 

A 1956 2 door Sportsman sold on ebay within the past week for $12,500. From the pictures it appeared to be in near show condition although not entirely original. This car can still be seen in the completed items. The hand brake signal light was a factory option.

Mac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:10 am 
George,
Thanks for the response and the info on the light.
I am familiar with the red car that just sold on eBay. The seller does claim a new paint job and we all know how much those cost.
However, the entire interior is new but "custom" which I interpret as not original/correct. It does not have the correct wheels or hubcaps either.
The car I am considering is completely original, unrestored and under the hood looks just as good with more original detail. It also has the dual antennas in the rear, the gas heater and the emergency brake indicator light. And it has ~30,000 less miles.

Both cars have PS and PB.

Can anyone comment with an opinion as to whether the details I mentioned would make the one I am considering more "valuable" than the red one on eBay?

I have inspected this car and have detailed photos.

Thanks in advance.
DAP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:19 am 
Also, for what it is worth, Hagerty values this car at #3 condition $17,000, #2 $23,400, #1 $35,400.

To be conservative, based on the Hagerty descriptions for the various conditions, I rate the one I am looking at as a # 3, but it is probably between 3 and 2.

NADA is Low Retail = $10,250, Average Retail = $13,500, High Retail = $28,300

Anyone have any experience with the Hagerty or NADA evaluations? Do they have any meaning?

Thanks
DAP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:34 pm 

Can you post pictures of the car you are interested in buying? This is a picture of a 56 four door Fireflite Sportsman which sold around 2005 for around $21,500. This car was original and was in no. 1 condition. Note the direction of the dual rear antennae.

Mac

Attachments:
56_4_door_Sportsman_DeSoto_3.jpg
56_4_door_Sportsman_DeSoto_3.jpg [ 156.78 KiB | Viewed 3013 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:41 am 
Yes, I will post some pics ASAP. I am having trouble with the forum site.
Well, I guess the antennas are correct on the one I am considering, thanks, I always thought they sloped to the rear.
DAP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:23 pm 
Front1
Front2
RF3-4
Right
RR3-4
Rear
Left
Trunk
Trunk Lid
Front Seat
Rear Seat
Buttons
Radio
Engine1
Engine2

Last edited by Guest on Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:05 am, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:45 am 

David,

That is indeed a nice looking car and I remember seeing it advertised online. As I recall it is located somewhere in the mountain west, maybe Utah. As I recall the price seemed fair for a very decent hardtop. I don't recall if I saw it on eBay or Craigslist, however, my recommendation would be to inspect the car in person if you have not already done so. Or contact someone you know and trust in the area to inspect the car and verify its details. Many of us have viewed car images on the internet only to be disappointed when the car is viewed in person. Also beware of potential scams; don't send money without taking precautions. You're talking about spending a sizable amount of money so be careful, and good luck in your search.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:11 am 
Mark,

Yes I have inspected the car in person.
In this case, because of the high resolution of my pictures, I have to say it looks better in person than in the pics!
Thanks for the tips

Any thoughts on value?

More pics posted.
Thanks.
DAP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:16 am 
Also, just wanted to state that a number one car is usually defined as a museum piece, always trailered, never driven, like the day it was born.

Most of the really nice cars that win first place at car shows are number two cars.