View topic - new here, I own a 52 sportsman 2HT

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:44 pm 

8)
Gerit, have you checked with Mark Waite? He's the technical advisor for the '52's, and maybe he'll be able to help.

Good luck! Hope you get your '52 back on the road really soon!

8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:35 pm 

Gerit

Make a 50 -50 mixture of Acetone ( from any paint section at Lowes or etc ) and Automatic Transmission Fluid ( it can even be used ).

After mixing the two together pour about 1/4 of it directly into The Carburetor
and three days later to do this again.

To a HD Clear Container that has a spray head - add the same mixture so that
you wet every nut or bolt that you can see.

This is a lower cost per volume than PB Blaster or any other product.

Until you locate your dics brake units adjust the 201 sq inches of brakes per the
maintenance directions.

the olds is a 1952 equal to The De Soto Division and they used 191.7 sq inches
of brakes.

Rodger & Gabby
COS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:41 pm 

Just my two cents, but I drove my 53 Firedome Station Wagon, which has the same brakes but is a heavier car, as my around Dallas car for several years on factory brakes. Stopped as well as my disc/drum Chevy Suburban, though of course there is a bit more work since you have to adjust them every so often (about once a year, maybe, for me). The first year I had it the power brakes didn't work so was full manual for then. I grew up driving non power brake cars so wasn't a big deal. The power brakes offered on the 53 is a divorced unit mounted under the floor. Takes a stop or two to get used to (requires a VERY light tough to avoid eating the steering wheel!). You may be able to find a power brake unit from a parts car to add to it. Not sure what years they used them, I think through 1954, but don't quote me on that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:20 am 

Things are coming along pretty well with the car, wasnt able to get the motor unstuck, its currently all torn down and the #7 and #8 pistons are still stuck in the block, the machine shop said they would be able to get them out. I currently have the front suspension apart and am converting to disc brakes and then I will start work on the motor, probably going to do a full rebuild, pretty much stock except for some higher compression pistons and a 4 barrel intake, there are current pics on the flickr link in the 1st post. I do need a connecting rod if anyone has one for sale since I had to cut one of them to get the crank out:(

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:52 pm 

Well my Desoto is almost finished, Motor runs great and I have driven her around the block a couple times and she sounds awesome, Kept the original motor, full rebuild, got some high compression pistons, reground the cam , threw a 4 barrell on her, headers and dual exhaust, running a GM style HEI dizzy, put a chevy TH400 trans in her, rear end from a 96 grand cherokee and converted the front from disc to drum. Only thing I really need now is power window parts which are proving very difficult to find

Gerit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:51 pm 

Gerit, check your PM's

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:00 pm 

Hello!

I am located in Kansas but I wanted to tell you I have an engine, trans, A arms, rear axle for a 1952 Firedome 276 c.i. if you ever need it.

Long ways away from you but thought you might want to know.