View topic - 6 volt battery maintainer

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:20 am 

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced 6 volt battery maintainer (not a charger)? I thought I found one a couple months ago, made by Black & Decker and sold at Lowes, but did not write down the product info, and now I can't seem to find it again online. Sears has a Battery Tender/charger #022-0196 for $29.75.
How come you can get a 12v maintainer at Harbor Freight for less than $7 ? (Please, no snickers - I have them on 3 cars, a scooter, and a lawn tractor and they do a great job!) Thanks !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:14 am 

Why do you need one ? If you're not driving the car for a while, just disconnect the battery cable.

Ron

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:05 pm 

Actually, it's healthier for the battery to be on a maintainer if it's going to be idle for an extended time.

Here are some choices, but they might not meet your criteria of "reasonably priced" if you're comparing to Harbor Freight.

http://www.batterytender.com/s.nl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:12 pm 

Oop! Found another one. Dual Voltage. Available at Lowes Hardware.

http://tinyurl.com/gq9xeuu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:33 pm 

Need to keep batt connected and charged because car will not be used all summer but will be started up once a week to keep carb from gunking up. Thanks for the info !

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:26 pm 

My cars will sit for up to four months at a time. Usually with battery cable disconnected. Batteries have already exceeded life expectancy and are still going strong. Any 'gunking up' that I experience (usually choke that doesn't close or is slow to close) is easily remedied by a quick shot of carb cleaner at the choke pivots. Choke will then close as expected upon first throttle.

Ron

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:48 pm 

I got a Battery Tender that is 12/6 volt at my local Costco. it works great and keeps the battery up to par.

rich Hartung
Desoto1939@aol.com