View topic - 1955 Desoto Rocker Panels

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:23 pm 

Over the weekend, I removed the rocker moulding from my 55 Fireflite 2dr. Found a large quantity of swiss cheese (rustout) underneath.

Does anyone have a good source for rocker panels or is someone in the club making them ?

Ron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:14 pm 

Unfortunately the available reproduction rocker panels that I am aware of are of poor quality and only address the easiest part of the rocker panel to fabricate. The tricky part is repairing the area under the door pillar and hidden under the quarter panel skin.

If all you need to do is the area outside and under the door, then the reproductions available might be a good place to start from .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:08 am 

Thanks Tim.

Fortunately, I just have to repair the visible area on the passenger side. As long as they have the correct 'gentle' curve and lap over the top and underneath a bit, I can likely make them work.

Can you point me in the direction of who sells them ?

Ron

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:31 am 

I'm not aware of any that have the correct general curve.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:46 pm 

This is my experience with the rockers. It may or may not help. I'm sure Tim does better work, but this is how I did it.

http://www.duricy.com/~desoto/degarage/ ... art2.shtml

Good luck
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:57 pm 

That's pretty dang good, Steve. It's a pain in the butt to try to do it well, since the original build of the car is on top of the rockers and the forward area under the door pillar and the rear of the rocker under the quarter is hidden by what is built on top of it.

Oh, to be working on Chevys and Mustangs where you can buy whatever you want from any number of vendors......

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:24 am 

eBay has outer repair panels for about $75.00 for a pair. Not sure about quality but probably better than nothing. Worth a look anyway.

"It's delightful, it's delovely, it's DeSoto"