View topic - Finally picked up the '57 Fireflite :-)

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:15 am 

I purchased the '57 while on a conference trip with my wife to Las Vegas last June. Since I don't gamble, I found myself checking out Craigslist where I ran across it advertised in Pahrump, NV. The car is pretty straight, has little rust, and is mostly there. After making the deal, I had to put it in storage until I could pick it up, which finally happened this past week. The car is in St. Johns, Florida now and I sure am looking forward to getting the project started! We'll become club members soon too :-)

Attachments:
eng-fl.JPG
eng-fl.JPG [ 213.19 KiB | Viewed 793 times ]
trunk-fl.JPG
trunk-fl.JPG [ 61.61 KiB | Viewed 793 times ]
int-fl.JPG
int-fl.JPG [ 220.07 KiB | Viewed 793 times ]
lf-fl.JPG
lf-fl.JPG [ 189.02 KiB | Viewed 793 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:33 am 

Looks like a nice car. You're going to have fun.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:52 pm 

Looks really nice and original. Congratulations and keep us posted with your progress. I also like the single headlights - much more uncommon.

"It's delightful, it's delovely, it's DeSoto"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:40 am 

Thanks guys! We're tickled about the car and looking forward to getting her back on the road.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:19 pm 

Sean,

Glad you found this '57 Fireflite and have given it a good home.

Did you drive the De Soto the 2,200+ miles from Vegas to St. Johns, FL? If so, you should write up an article for the club's magazine about all the fun you had during your trip.

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:18 pm 

Hi Bill,
The car had been off the road for 10 years and I considered finding a shop in the area it was stored to get it back into driving condition. I think the cross country drive could've been a neat experience. But, with the electric windows and seat not operating, I figured I may be opening a hornets nest in paying someone to chase gremlins getting it road ready and opted to trailer it home. I was a mechanic and fabricator by trade and my luck in having other people do work for me hasn't been so good.

Attachments:
Desoto.JPG
Desoto.JPG [ 291.64 KiB | Viewed 699 times ]