View topic - Windshield and back glass seals-1953 firedome

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:20 pm 

I am restoring/customizing a 53 firedome eight, six passenger, 4 door sedan. I purchased a rubber kit from Kanter that includes the windshield and back glass seals. They do not fit and I can see no way to make them work. According to Kanter they have had no complaints before. Unfortunately they can offer me no proof. They asked me to return the seals and include a sample or profile of the originals. The originals were in such poor condition that I do not have a profile. I have been told that Bernbaum probably sells the same seals and they do not fit. Does anyone have a profile of the original seals or a solution that will work to install the glass and hold the original chrome trim? The shop manual is of no help since the picture is of a different model seal and describes a different seal installation. I have contacted Steele Rubber and they don't have the seals but they do offer several general use seals that may or may not work. I'm hopeful that someone out there has the answer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:25 am 

I finally answered my own question. I was able to use a general use seal from Steele Rubber. It fit and was able to accept the trim.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:42 pm 

Good deal! Let us know what seal you used so we can reference it later.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:23 pm 

Steele Rubber part # 40-0507-99 is the seal I used. #60-0607-99 is the lockstrip for it. This worked well for me. It was not perfect. I required sealant to be used between the glass and the seal and also between the seal and the body. I used NAPA 4203 butyl sealant.