View topic - Fluid Leaking from Fluid Drive Unit

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:16 pm 

I have a 1941 Custom with the simplimatic. A few years ago I had driven the car and was getting ready to come home and noticed a puddle of fluid under the car. Got the car home and removed the clutch pan and it appeared that it was the fluid drive unit leaking. Took me a while but last summer I finally had the unit out of the car and sent out to replace the carbon seal. Put the unit back in and it still leaked, I was getting fluid spraying(mist) on the floor, exhaust and passenger frame rail. After running I would also get a small(3in diameter) puddle under the car with a drip on the fluid drive unit. I have taken the unit back out and sent back to where I had the seal replaced. They agreed it was leaking and found what they thought was the issue. They tested the unit and did not see a leak. I have it back in the car and again and still seeing the spray(mist) from the unit and am getting a small puddle under the car.

Any ideas what is going on? Is there something else going on that is causing the unit to leak?

While I have been testing my Leak, I have also been testing the transmission shift. I have the car on jack stands. I can get the car to shift in high range but I don't notice any difference in engine speed. Shouldn't I be noticing a difference in engine speed when it shifts from 3rd to 4th in high range?

Any help or insight anyone has on these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay Linder