View topic - George Laurie

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

Post subject: George Laurie
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:21 pm 

I ordered a hood emblem from George Laurie on June 6, 2017. I knew it would be some time before I received it. As of today, October 31, 2017 I have not received it. I have emailed him several times in the past few months with no response. I paid him with paypal so I have tried to contact him through them, but still no response a week later. Does anyone know what is going on with him or another way I can contact him? I would prefer to get the emblem I ordered rather than try to get a refund. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: George Laurie
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:52 pm 

I'm a cheerleader for George and his products, although I wish these types of emails didn't come up so often.

In our microwave/instant society, we're used to getting things right away. Five months isn't outrageous of George's typical turn-around. I'm not sure how he manages his inventory, but I think he usually makes his products on order and quickly gets behind. Weather can be a problem as I understand it with high humidity, etc having adverse affects on the quality of his products.

It's easy to find forum threads of people sharing your frustrations, and finally getting their products.

My suggestion is to continue to send an occasional email. He's off the grid. Years ago his generator went down, and then his backup generator quit on him, too.

Having said all that, I also understand where you're coming from, too. I've made quite a few orders over the years for cars I've worked on, and I always order very early from George to know that I have a reasonable expectation to have my order by the time I'm ready for lenses and emblems.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:18 pm 

FYI...George called me out of the blue last July asking me to inspect a '78 Chrysler woody station wagon someone was selling on Craigslist. Apparently this a car that George collects. Without boring everyone with the details, George wore me out asking for pics, price negotiation, follow up with the seller, via both phone and email. The car was overpriced for the asking price and I informed George accordingly and quickly exited the middle of the process. Point being...when it motivates him George can pick up a phone or respond via email. Sad he does not share the same urgency for his customers.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:13 pm 

:(