View topic - 1941 Desoto Ebay

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

Post subject: 1941 Desoto Ebay
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:45 pm 

Anyone that has been looking at ebay lately may see an add for a 1940 Desoto listed. Only problem is that it is a 41. I have seen this vehicle posted at other sites and on each one I have sent them the information to correct the adds. Only response I have gotten back is the title has it listed as a 40 and that's how they will sell it. I own a 40. Some people never learn

Post subject: Re: 1941 Desoto Ebay
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:18 pm 

Nice catch Thomas... now the problem they have is that the title will be wrong for the next buyer... which is why they don't want to deal with changing themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:16 am 

I would have thought that they had it figured out by the 40s, but it's my understanding that early on some states titled cars in the year they were manufactured, rather than by Model Year.

If the car being sold was manufactured in late '40 as a new '41 model, maybe it was originally titled as a '40.

Maybe.

Clerical mistakes happen. I had a highway patrolman do a VIN inspection on a car here at the shop, and his handwriting was such that the title arrived with the VIN having an "S" where a 5 was. He came back and corrected the paperwork, and all was forgiven.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:05 am 

I am the proud owner of a 1946 Suburban. I've been told that there is no such thing, they didn't come out until 1947. Two problems: 1. By the VIN DeSoto says it's a 1946 in the service manual. 2. It's titled as a 1946.

I call it a 1947 to avoid having to explain.

"A rose by any other name is still a rose."

57 Sportsman 4dr HT

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:58 pm 

I actually ended up talking to the dealer that had this car for sale. They said it was for sale on consignment and the title said it was a '40 model so legally that is how they had to list it.

I guess that makes sense from a legal stand point.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:37 am 

Hey Tim,
If you ever decide to sell your "47", give me a call!!