View topic - 1949 Hood Emblem?????

It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 10:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

Post subject: 1949 Hood Emblem?????
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:02 pm 

This emblem is currently for sale on eBay and is listed as a 1949 piece. Can anyone confirm? I’m not familiar with this part belonging on a ‘49.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/1949-OEM-DESOTO- ... mwBanner=1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:03 am 

From Desoto Passenger Car Parts List Model Series S-13 issued August 1949

From p179

Hood Medallion and Emblem

15-06-18 Hood front medallion 1252 688 1

EXCEPT the picture shows a shaped plate that attached to the chrome base

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:22 pm 

Tim, Bob,

I sold my parts list with my 1949 car in 1998, but I do recall from my days of 1949 ownership that two types of front hood ornaments were used on those cars during production. I never figured out if the ornaments were changed during production, or were specific to assembly plants- LA vs Detroit. Type 1 ornaments were old school and included a cloisonné- that is- glazed enamel crest with a raised bust of Hernando set in a chrome frame with wings on the side. Pat Bisson's car has this type, and I mentioned it in my photo on the photos tab. The second type was a new-school plastic jewel style ornament with an embossed, vacuum chromed, and painted rear that was attached through the rear of a chrome winged frame. From a distance the two look the same. Close up, the type 1 is far more elegant. My car had the second type. I believe this bust is part of the assembly of a type 1 ornament- fitting over the cloisonné crest, and holding it to the chrome frame.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:38 pm 

Tim, Bob,

It turns out I did not sell that parts list with my 49. It was my younger brother's and he still has it. He was a parts man for Chrysler dealers during the late 1970's and early 1980's , and accumulated many obsolete dealer parts books, including a 1939-1950 "all cars" book. Using both his books, we were able to find complete part numbers for both types of front emblems. Here is a sketch I made of the emblem and the parts involved in assembling complete versions of both types.

Attachments:
1949 DeSoto Hood Ornament Part Numbers0001.jpg
1949 DeSoto Hood Ornament Part Numbers0001.jpg [ 471.14 KiB | Viewed 289 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:42 pm 

Tim,

I know you have a 1949, so I thought I would upload a photo of the front of my old 1949. This one was taken in 1983 or so. This car has the plastic type ornament. You can maybe zoom in on it and get an idea what it looks like. If you want a photo of the Cloisonné type, There is a front photo of Pat Bisson's 1949 coupe in the gallery tab of this website. It is in the 1949-1954 car section.

Attachments:
1949 DeSoto Front View.jpg
1949 DeSoto Front View.jpg [ 490.9 KiB | Viewed 288 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:31 pm 

Thanks, Brent!

I need to shuffle through boxes and educate myself on what I may or may not have for my car. It's a basket case that I helped my dad create in 1991 or so. When my mom passed, he gave it to me. That was 2004 or so. As if I remember how it goes back together!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:03 pm 

Brent: Thanks for the sketch, I totally mis-read the picture in the parts book