View topic - Uploading Attachments

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Uploading Attachments
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:50 pm 

Many people have expressed frustration when attempting to include photographs in their posts. Previously our member Lynn Palmer posted the steps he used, so I took his instructions and added a bit of additional information along with his comments.

Picture size is important. Large files tend to overwhelm the format of the message, and require scrolling left/right and up/down to see the entire submission.

Images sizes of 640X480 are ideal for submission, and show in their entirety without any scrolling by the people that are looking at your post. Before attempting to load an image, use your favorite photo editing software to fine tune your image and reduce the size to around 640X480.

PhotoScape is one example of a free editing program that can be downloaded, and I have used it for a while now to do simple image corrections and changing the file size. There are many available, depending on your interest and skill level. One should always be careful when downloading software. Be sure you are using a reputable source for your download, and pay attention to any offers and choices as you move through the download process. "Free" programs frequently offer "add-ons" in order to generate revenue and those add-ons can be a simple nuisance or an aggravating malware. Choose wisely!

Once you have chosen and properly edited your images, the steps below will successfully allow you to load multiple images into your forum contributions.

Reference the images at the bottom of the post to see the arrows and buttons mentioned in the steps below.

In all cases, you SHOULD IGNORE the "add the file" button (yellow arrow)

1. Either create a new topic or use the “Post Reply” button to open a new dialog window in your browser as you normally would.

2. At the bottom of the field where you would type in your text, you will find an “upload attachment” dialogue box. By clicking the “Browse” button (red arrow), a window will open where you can go to your selected directory and choose ONE image to upload. When you have selected your image, hit "open"

3. Once you press “open”, you will be returned to the browser window where you are creating your post, and you can press the "preview" button (brown arrow) - it will load the file and give you another unused "Upload Image" box (green arrow) you can use to repeat the process and add another picture. You can do this several times to load multiple images. Also notice that the previous file that was uploaded is listed as “Posted Attachments” (lower red arrow)

4. Once you've added the pictures and typed whatever you want for text you can then press “Submit” or Preview again to double check. If you choose to preview once more, your final task is to click submit.

Attachments:
Image loading.jpg
Image loading.jpg [ 39.54 KiB | Viewed 3387 times ]
upload images 2.png
upload images 2.png [ 48.73 KiB | Viewed 3387 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:59 am 

I've never had to use it as I use Photoshop to resize my pictures, but I've been told this link is good.

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

Tim, if you check the setup of the photo uploading to this forum you may find a setting that will reject the upload of anything too large. I'll get caught from time to time if I haven't resized my pictures or haven't shrunk them small enough.

Also Photoshop, and probably most other photo editors, has a "constrain proportions" button so you only need to set height OR width and the editor will set the other so your picture maintains the same Height-to-Width proportions as the original.

Here's a thought:
If your setup allows it, include a link to the shrinkpictures resizer right beside the "Upload photo" section.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:35 am 

There's something wrong. I tested the online picture resizer, but when I went to upload ("Add File") it just ran forever and I never got to post my reply.
I'll try again, first resizing in PhotoShop, just in case it was the online resizer that screwed thing up. ????

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:38 am 

If you re-read the steps, there's a line that says to avoid the "add the file" button....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:49 am 

OK, once I read the directions (thanks Tim :oops: ) it seems to work. Here is the PhotoShop version:

Attachment:
55 DeSoto Coronado Fireflite-1.jpg
55 DeSoto Coronado Fireflite-1.jpg [ 46.78 KiB | Viewed 2852 times ]

and the online resizer version:

Attachment:
phpwT7MrEPM.jpg
phpwT7MrEPM.jpg [ 44.8 KiB | Viewed 2852 times ]

A little confusing, a little different from the other forum, but I can still learn. (now watch me go from that forum to this and back. I think there may be a bit of stumbling there :oops: )

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:56 am 

Don't feel bad! That "add the file" button has frustrated just about everybody.