View topic - Need advice and a 1932 roadster hood and grill.

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:44 pm 

I recently bought most of a 1932 roadster body, less hood and grill which I am looking for if anyone has them, all or part. I think I have a line on a hood but the grill appears to be a unicorn. I have never done a Desoto before, are these grills so rare that I am wasting my time looking for one? I realize the 33 has a different design but will the grill fit if I can't find a 32? Any info or advice will be appreciated. Thank you. Todd 530-394-8226 or todd_aylward@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:22 pm 

You might try contacting the tech rep for 1932 by going to www.desoto.org/resources

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:01 am 

Todd,

Even though I've never owned a '32 nor a '33 De Soto, I'd be very, very surprised if you could get a '33 grill onto a '32. That's because the '33 grill slopes towards that front of the car at the bottom of the grill, whereas the '32 grill does not.

Years ago, back in the mid-1990's, a group of us toured a private collection in Terre Haute, IN. The gentleman (who, unfortunately, has since passed away) had many Mopars in great condition, one of which was a '32 De Soto. He said that he had gotten a few grills for the car, but that none of them were very good - so he just went ahead and made his own!! (This guy had way, way more talent than I do - not to mention time and money.) Unfortunately, I don't know what became of his collection of cars and parts after he passed away. Perhaps one of our other readers will know.

Bill