View topic - 1957 DeSoto back glass

It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

Post subject: 1957 DeSoto back glass
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:41 pm 

In need of the back glass for a 1958 DeSoto Adventurer 2 door hardtop. Tinted is preferred but any will do. This is the big window glass the reaches high into the roof and is used on Fireflites, Adventurers, and some Chryslers as well. I believe 1957, 1958, and 1959 2 door hardtops are the same.

Please advise if you have one or know of a source for one.

Thank you.

Fred Roman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:28 pm 

Hey Fred,

Might check with these guys; I don't see the car you need in the photos but worth a try.

Tim Bowers...Google says approx. one hour from McPherson. Possible side trip during next year's convention?

https://boulder.craigslist.org/ptd/d/pa ... 08555.html

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:18 pm 

Yes, I know the owner of the yard in Great Bend. Have done business with him over several of our shop projects.

If you contact Chad and would like me to go put eyes on something for you, I’d be happy to do that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:26 pm 

Thanks Tim,

I contacted him a few days ago and got no reply. I did find some but they are very expensive and too far away to get myself. They will not ship for fear of breaking during shipment. I got plenty of time - probably around 6 months before I absolutely have to have. In the meantime I'm keeping my eyes and ears open.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:58 pm 

When Chad posts about his inventory to Facebook especially, he always includes that calling him is the only assured way to get a timely response from him, as he doesn't spend enough time online to check messages, emails, and texts. If your earlier contact was not a phone call, you're likely not going to get a response.

As you said, glass is expensive and shipping is even worse. I need a solex front windshield for our current '56 DeSoto Cpe project, and keep hoping I find one within reasonable driving distance so that I can avoid the shipping cost and potential damage that might happen en route.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:26 am 

Tim, I happened upon the Craigslist ad not long after seeing this discussion and it does appear that there is a (pink) 1955/1956 Chrysler 2 door in the yard.

Attachments:
Chrysler A.jpg
Chrysler A.jpg [ 219.06 KiB | Viewed 339 times ]
Chrysler.jpg
Chrysler.jpg [ 173.3 KiB | Viewed 339 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:49 pm 

Yeah, I've bought several parts from that car already. No good windshield.