View topic - Photo of 1929 Desoto 4 dr. sedan

It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:07 pm 

Hi Fred,
I'm currently considering the purchase of a 29-33 DeSoto to have an example of an antique car. How tight is the front seat space? I know the 29-30 DeSoto sixes don't have adjustable front seats. Are they kind of tight in the front seat? When did Desoto get adjustable front seats on their six cylinder cars?

Marc.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:12 am 

Hi Marc, Yes; the front seat is a bit tight. I think the people were a bit smaller back then. Once I get in the car there seems to be enough room, but, it is a bit tight getting in. I do know that my '34 Airflow does have an adjustable seat, but I do not know of the '30, '31, '32, or '33. I honestly do not feel that they would have however. The Airflow was pretty revolutionary at the time with lots of innovations. Fred

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:56 am 

Fred,

I like that car, creamy yellow with black trim just like my '52! The Chrysler historic collection has one in that color too. Very nice!

I have read that all 1929 roadsters came with the high compression "Red Head" engine. Does yours have that?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:27 am 

Hi Brent,
This roadster does indeed have the higher compression "red head". I was under the impression that it was a rare option. I have not seen another '29 with it. Maybe not as rare as what I thought it was.
Fred

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:10 am 

Fred,

I have been trying to figure out the availability of red heads on DeSotos, and if all of them were aluminum.

The best resource I have found is Willem Weertman's book "Chrysler Engines 1922-2000". He says that the model K and Model CK roadsters had the red head standard, but that it was an option on other cars. Weertman doesn't mention red-heads on Airflows. He does say that DeSotos built from 1937 through 1942 did not have the red head available- only Plymouth, Dodge, and Chrysler did. He uses a couple of 1936 examples to infer that red heads were aluminum, but it isn't clear if they all were or just the later ones. Is the head on your roadster aluminum?

The roadster is so rare anyway, that the red head engine just makes it even more interesting. That is a great car! I hope to see it at a show someday so I can study it!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:41 pm 

Brent,
The head on this car is steel and not aluminum. I had it planed after I noticed a leak in the head gasket. I told the machine shop to be extra careful because of the rarity of that head. No more leaks and the car runs great.
Thanks, Fred

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:23 am 

Fred,

Thanks for that piece of information. I am always learning. I can't always believe what I read, but I trust what we can actually see.

Hmmm. Now I wonder what year they changed to aluminum...