View topic - Brent Jacobsen's 1949 DeSoto Sedan- Memories

It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:25 pm 

While out driving in Dearborn Heights last week I spotted a sight that brought back many memories- my old 1949 DeSoto Custom 4-door sedan. Here is a left front quarter view of the car as I found it- being used as an advertising billboard for a local Pizza parlor!

Attachments:
1949 DeSoto at Big Al's Pizza Left Front.jpg
1949 DeSoto at Big Al's Pizza Left Front.jpg [ 2.11 MiB | Viewed 40 times ]

Last edited by BrentJacobsen on Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:27 pm 

Here is another shot of the car from the right side with the Pizza Parlor magnetic ad in place. If you look close you will see a dent in the right rocker panel. Studying the front I also saw the cutouts for the original grille guard and fog lights, now missing. I knew it was my old car!

Attachments:
1949 DeSoto at Big Al's Pizza Right Side.jpg
1949 DeSoto at Big Al's Pizza Right Side.jpg [ 2.26 MiB | Viewed 39 times ]

Last edited by BrentJacobsen on Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:38 pm 

I bought this car in 1973 while attending college at Oregon State University located in Corvallis Oregon. I paid $200 for it at the local Chrysler dealer, CL Tharp Motors. The original owner had traded it in on a used 1969 Chrysler. The paint was badly oxidized and worn through on the top surfaces. The hood had come up while driving, and was torn at the rear by the hinges and dented in the middle where it had impacted the roof. I found a new hood and a nice front emblem at a local junk yard. The engine broke a piston land soon after I bought it, so I had to rebuild the engine. I replaced all the pistons and the bearings and ground the valves at that time. Finally in the summer of 1974 I had the car repainted the original Regal Blue Poly using original-style paint with mica flakes for the metallic effect. Here is a photo of the car in Corvallis circa 1975.

Attachments:
1949 DeSoto, Corvallis 1975.jpg
1949 DeSoto, Corvallis 1975.jpg [ 207.04 KiB | Viewed 37 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:45 pm 

I graduated from college in 1975, and having taken ROTC, went off to do my obligatory two years of active duty. During this time, my younger brother had custody of the car. He found a period Fulton Sun Shield visor, painted it and installed it. My military service was completed in 1977, and I landed a job as an engineer at Ford Motor Company in Dearborn, Michigan. after living in Michigan for a few years I finally bought a house and had room for my 49. So, in 1983 I went back to Oregon, picked up the DeSoto, and drove it across country on the freeway to Michigan. Here is a photo of myself and the 49 DeSoto in Oregon just before I left. Wow. Look at those glasses and that moustache.

Attachments:
Brent and his 49 DeSoto with Portland Skyline.jpg
Brent and his 49 DeSoto with Portland Skyline.jpg [ 513.51 KiB | Viewed 36 times ]

Last edited by BrentJacobsen on Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:53 pm 

I drove the car around Michigan and enjoyed it quite a bit. But I also had my 1952 car during this period. In 1996 I got married. I ran out of room for all my DeSotos and the newer Ford cars that my wife and I drove regularly, so in 1997 I sold the 1949 car.

Imagine my surprise when I found the car again in Dearborn Heights. Maybe I can get "Big Al" to join the NDC.....