View topic - Z-alt

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

Post subject: Z-alt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:26 am 
In Hemmings last edition under New Products I found NEW OIL FOR OLDER VEHICLES. It's called Z-alt. Has anyone used it? I bought some of the expensive stuff just to try. Hope I haven't thrown my money away.

Chuck

Post subject: Z-alt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:13 am 
What is the oil supposed to do that the regular oil does not? Last longer, is it synthetic, better cold starts. less wear?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:41 am 
No doubt it is an oil formulated with a higher Zinc content than modern oils.

Flat tappet cam/lifter setups such as in our old engines require more Zinc than the modern engines with roller cams. Because of the decreased friction of the roller cams, the zinc level has been reduced in modern oil formulations.

Just how much, and for how long, the higher zinc content is needed, seems to still be up for debate as near as I can tell. My machine shop that does my engine rebuilding says to use high zinc oil for the 1st and 2nd oil change, and then afterwards you an use whatever oil you want. For non-high performance engines, of course.

According to my machine shop, and also the engine instructor at McPherson College, who I respect very highly, an engine that is properly broken in can run on modern oil without ill-effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:27 pm 
What Tim Bowers said. Break-in is the most critical time for engines using a non roller cam/lifters. After the cam/lifters have worn in, then any modern lubricant is more than sufficient. I solved the break-in problem on the latest DeSoto engine I built, and used cheapo tractor oil to break it in... :D

Attachments:
101.JPG
101.JPG [ 53.82 KiB | Viewed 3721 times ]
119.JPG
119.JPG [ 64.13 KiB | Viewed 3721 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:55 pm 
Yikes, Tony!

What is that monster going to motivate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:13 pm 
A daily driver...32 Ford Roadster. Started with a bare, boxed frame last Spring. The ladies in the neighborhood snatched up their children and ran screaming into their houses when wifey and I fired it up for the first time... :lol: But it IS a DeSoto...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:03 pm 
Awesome! Thanks for the picts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:38 pm 
Hey Paul,

In the avertisement it say "Z-alt Muscleacar Oil contains the perfect amount of ZDDP and detergents for all older gasoline engines". I am in the understanding that ZDDP is very important to older engines that are not driven daily. This is also suppose to offer improved dry starts.

Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:29 am 
Spending a little more for an oil of your preference is certainly not a big deal, but your first question did ask whether it was worth the extra $.

Only if you're breaking in a freshly rebuilt engine.....

Post subject: May I suggest...........
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:00 am 
...........Shell Rotella T. I use it in everything from the wife's Z-3 to the Dodge Diesel truck, and it has Zinc!

Have a nice day
Steve