View topic - Earth Day

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

Post subject: Earth Day
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:05 am 
Tomorrow, April 22, is Earth Day. In honor, I plan on driving my gas-guzzling, non-catalytic exhausted DeSoto to work. Anybody with me? :wink:

Post subject: Earth day
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:07 am 
Sounds like a plan Mark. I am with you. Les

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:42 am 
Me too !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:48 am 
AND is there some statement you are trying to make? - Do not nelieve in global warming, do not believe humans have a knack for ruining the environment? :roll: You should realize that there are some folks that like nice old cars but still do everything possible to save energy in other ways.
We can do both responsibly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:16 am 
I agree, Paul. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:16 am 
There is a couple of statments I am trying to make Paul. Our old cars are not causing global warming if there actually is global warming. I think we probably agree there is evidence that there was an ice age when this continent was probably covered in ice. I would like for one of you global warming advocates to explain how the earth warmed up enough to melt all that ice with no humans around to cause it. An act of nature maybe? I think the world goes through periods when we have slight warming and sometimes slight cooling. It was only maybe 30 years ago we were being warned about global cooling. I don't think humans have a lot to do with it. But, some are making a political issue out of it. I think we all have a responsibility to not pollute our waters or trash our inviornment, but driving our old cars doesn'tt make an iota of differance as some are claiming.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:50 am 
............hoax of global warming. Will we never learn???

Al Gore and the rest of you, I will contribute nothing to your scam. Keep your hands out of my pockets.

BTW, I'm probably the "greenest" person any of you have ever known.

Have a nice day
Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:37 am 
Steve, I can not let that one go untouched. Scientists around the world know that the earth's southern and northern regions are melting unusually fast. and attribute it to global warming. If it is not, it would prove to be a bigger scam than Goldman and Sachs perpetrated. So do you want to act responsibly or be sorry, or pass it on to your kids and their kids? Man- made - I would have to say Yes. There is no scam. I am not in this field, but I know science well. There is something going on.
Geez!!!!
Anyhow, this is for DeSotos so I am not going to comment on any more of this subject. I have you guys in work - Business and worthless finance majors, not science majors, that have these views on global warming. So I have been to this table before and am out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:18 am 
I have never claimed to be a global warming advocate, nor do I think you have to be to keep an environmental conscience. I have seen Al Gore's presentation on global warming, and the pictures really do speak very much as to the changes that our climate has undergone in such a short amount of time. Regardless of how it has been caused, I feel a sense of responsibility to improve MY quality of life (and it's surroundings) with the time that I have left on this earth. Not only for myself, but also for my daughter and the generations to come.

For my daughter's first birthday, instead of buying her presents, we asked that our guests donate 5 dollars to the I-Live-Green foundation. Each donation planted a tree for a re-forestation project in an area badly devistated by Hurricane Katrina. It is the gift to help improve our air quality, prevent soil errosion, and improve our economy (providing jobs for those who plant/maintain the groves).

I've been called a tree-hugging hippie many times, and that's fine. I still plan to drive my Desoto, and I still appreciate old american iron. I am just willing to make compromises in my life, and don't feel as though it has to be an all-or-nothing scenario. The littlest things, such as depositing used plastic grocery bags into the recycle bin at the front of the grocer or re-using old, torn tshirts as shop rags matter.

Post subject: Food for thought........
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:38 am 
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/colu ... ation.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/e ... 936328.ece

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... nised.html

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 23794.html

Have a nice day
Steve

Post subject: earth day
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:16 pm 
I think both sides are possible,

We are driving our desoto, with a lot of pleasure , but take also our responsibilty and assembled

a truck on HYDROGEN power with ZERO EMMISSION
look for data on www.hytruck.nl

gr Peter Boudesteijn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:23 am 
BTW, it was raining early Thursday (Earth Day) morning so I DID NOT drive my DeSoto to work. Never mind! :lol: