View topic - TIME TO START ASKING

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

Post subject: TIME TO START ASKING
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:50 pm 
Well, the Convention is rapidly approaching. And, the time is drawing near................

Who is coming, and when?

I will be there, arriving on Tuesday. I like to come a day early, to check out the area. If you know anything about me, it is only to check out the resturants in the area..............I love to eat.
Question is, I want to take my '52, but do like to drive my Dad's '59. Which one is going? At this point, I am leaning towards my '52. It has been to the Conventions in Chicago, Fort Wayne, Terra Haute, and Rapid City. My Dad's '59 has been to Chicago, Dayton, Rapid City, and St. Joseph. Dad is 87, and can't drive his '59 that far anymore, or we would bring both. He does still cruise around town in it at home.

See you there!

Mark Waite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:37 pm 
Hi Mark, here is a suggestion for you. Go down to Joliet and cruise down to Springfield on old Route 66. It is route 53 now but Route 66 is well marked in ILL so you won't have any problem staying on it. You can also catch it off !-94 but I don't suggest going that way. Start at the Route 66 visitors center in Joliet. Stop at the Launching Pad restaurant in Wilmington. Then down to the Polka-Dot Drive-in in Braidwood. Both are burger and fries type places but the Polka-Dot is an interesting stop even if you don't eat there. Near Gardner, the Riviera Roadhouse has been there since 1927. It hasn't been open during the day when we have been there but check out the restored street car diner out back.There is restored gas stations on the Route in Dwight and Odell. The one in Odell is usually open during the day. The Route 66 museum in Pontiac is a must stop. Stop at the maple sirup (that is not a typo they spell it sirup) in Funks Grove and the Dixie truckers home in McLean. Atlanta is a very interesting little town. Check out the restored wooden grain elevator and the octagon shaped library building. In Broadwell, the historic Pig-Hip restuarant burned to the ground a couple years ago but owner Ernie Edwards is still telling stories about old Route 66 at his home next to where the restuarant was. Ernie is in his ninties and can tell stories all day. I think some of them might be true but not sure. Coming into Springfield, Bill Shea's Texaco station/museum is an interesting stop. Plan on several hours from Joliet to Springfield if you take Route 66 but well worth the extra time. Les

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:17 am 
Mark,

We plan to be there with our '55, traveling the roads less traveled from Louisville to Springfield. We are planning to arrive Wednesday and leave Sunday and have made reservations accordingly. You can give us some restaurant tips when we arrive! Will you again be bringing some items for the part swap?

Mark K.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:40 am 
Hey Mark & Mark, a couple of years ago I had a sandwich in Springfield that they called "horseshoes". I don't remember what was in but I remember it could be ordered several differant ways. It is a local thing that we saw on the menu in a couple of places. Don't remember what was in it but it was a good lunch. The Cozy dog Drive-in in Springfield is a Route 66 icon that many rave about. I believe they created the corn dog. We were not impressed. It is a corn dog and we didn't think it was a very good one. That is assuming there is such a thing as a good corn dog. Can't recommend that one. Looking forward to seeing you in Springfield. Les

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:11 pm 
You can tell Les knows food just look at him.LOL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:52 pm 
I try to hang out with my friend Rick Brinker at the conventions as much as possible. He not only makes me look skinny but good looking and intelligent too. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:37 pm 
Let's see.............where to start.

Les,

I have been doing some research, and found out about the "horseshoes".
I believe there are a few restuarant's in the area that serve them. That is a must for me. It makes my mouth water..............

That reminds me of a story about the Convention in Frankenmuth, MI. We ate a place called Tony's. A serving of bacon was ONE POUND. We could not believe the portions at this place. I think the owner was a either a hog farmer, or a heart surgeon specializing in bypasses. It was so good.........The pies were another story...............

Opps,...drooling on the keyboard is forbidden.

To me, any trip, is all about the food. As I said, I love to eat. If I did not run as much as I do, I would have to use a freight scale.

I hope to do the Rt.66 thing on the way, Thanks!

Mark K.,

I have already sold a ton of stuff this year on E-Bay, but at the same time, I am stuffing boxes full of treasures to bring along. Different stuff from last year.

I went past the hotel last Fall, on my way to Springfield, MO, to run a Half Marathon there. It looks like a lot of room around the lots, and eating places within walking distances.

I am giddy with excitement already................

Mark Waite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:19 pm 
OK guys, I'll bite (pun intended!). What is a "horseshoe"? It's Derby weekend here in Louisville and horseshoes are not something we typically eat here in horse country.

Mark

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:34 am 
We are not putting you on Mark K. there really is a horseshoe sandwich. I don't think they consider it a sandwich though. We were told it is local to the Springfield area. It has been a couple of years but I think it was an open faced sandwich on Texas toast with a cheese sauce and covered with french fries. Heart attack on a plate but tasty. Is there anyone on the forum from the Springfield area that can tell us exactly what it is? Les

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:56 am 
It is what you said it is Les, It is very common is central Illinois. I live only 50 miles from Springfield and hope to make it to the convention at least one day. I just wish I had our DeSoto done so it could make the trip. It is still in the middle of restoration.

Paul

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:27 am 
Thanks Paul, it is good to know I still have some memory left. I hope you can make it to the convention. I think you will enjoy it. A lot of friendly folks and as many DeSoto's as you will ever see in one place. Club Member Lee Exline has been sponsoring a "Diamond in the Rough" class for cars that need restoration or are in the process. If you could trailer it over we would like to see it. I have a cousin in DeWitt, not to far from the Clinton Power Plant, so I get down your way at least once a year. Les

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:56 pm 
Les is correct.
It does not need to be done, or even running for that matter.
Bring it to the show and enjoy yourself in the Diamond in the rough class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:36 pm 
It is getting closer

Les F-can you get us an update on how many people and cars have signed up to date?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:29 pm 
Bob,we were at the Orphan Car Show in Ypsilanti, MI yesterday. The show was rained out but the Great Lakes Chapter had our meeting and potluck. Janet Newmun said she has about 40 registrations so far. Someone said when they called the hotel to make a reservation last week they were told only about 5 of the 75 blocked rooms were left. Apparently a lot of members have their room booked but haven't registered yet. I remembered Joe Youngblood being very concerned about this time last year because he only had a few registrations but they came in a flurry close to the deadline. Les

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:15 pm 
I haven't sent my registration in yet, but will be there Wednesday through Sunday morning (although I may go chase a little white ball on Wednesday or Thursday...). I do have a room reserved.