View topic - 51 desoto

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

Post subject: 51 desoto
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:52 pm 
I just purchased a 51 desoto and had a couple questions,

it has tip toe m6 semi automatic, I was reading some articles and previous posts on here and wanted to be sure I had it right about the fluid types...the gear box itself with the side fill and empty plugs takes 10w non det? and the fluid drive unit itself take hydraulic #34? How do I drain the fluid drive unit. Also I bought a new engine oil filter element from napa and they gave me the #1071 filter is this correct as the one currently in the canister is a little bit of a wider cartrige, the 1071 looks like it will fit.

Any input will be helpful

Thank you

Post subject: 51 DeSoto
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:10 pm 
Hi Jon, the transmission and fluid coupling use the same fluid. The replacement fluid for both is 10 wt. non-detergent motor oil as you said. But, it is getting hard to find. I read an article several years ago by someone that is supposed to know a lot about the transmission that said the hydraulic fluid is actually better than 10 wt. oil He made a very compelling case backing up what he was saying. I put hydraulic fluid in the transmission in my 52 several years ago and it has worked well. The fluid coupling still has whatever was in it when I bought the car about 13 years ago. Unless there is some problem or you suspect someone has put the wrong fluid in the fc, I don't think it is necessary to change it. To drain the fc, turn the engine until the fill/drain plug shows in the access hole on the right side of the floor board, remove the plug and turn the engine until the hole is on the bottom and let it drain. Then turn it up to the top to fill it and fill it until fluid runs out of the fill/drain hole. Suggestion, before you take the plug out, put a rag in the opening so the plug can't fall into the bell housing if you accidently drop it. Les

Post subject: 51 desoto
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:21 am 
Jon, I have a 53 and its drive is simialr to your 51. I put 10W in both as Les stated. The hydraulic oil may be fine but you need to make sure the numbers are the same as what Les has been using successfully. I can corrobate what Les has told you. If you want to use the 10W non detergent, I can provide you a source for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:04 pm 
Thanks for the info this will help out a lot. I was able to get a case of 10w non det from http://www.lubriplate.com/webstore/detail.aspx?ID=39 I will let you know how the transmission oil change comes out I am just enjoying the car now in the nice weather, hope to get around to changing the oil this week on it. This site is very helpful, am going to definatly join this club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:33 pm 
http://www.tractorsupply.com/vehicle-ma ... il-0801210

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:29 pm 
if you have a 6 it should use the fram C134PL oil filter at rock auto for $5.04 .the next name brand filter is $7.