View topic - Shock Color

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

Post subject: Shock Color
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:40 am 
What color were the shock absorbers on a '61 Desoto? How about the color of the rear end axle housing? thanks for any help. Mike

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:49 am 
This could require some discussion so I will get it moving. My 53, as best I know had black shocks. I replaced what I believe to be the originals at 24000 miles and 37 years.
The rear end I believe was black also. I am not sure about the rear end because my father painted it with silver Rustoleum without me knowing about it. The car was in CT so he had good intentions but I think he should have applied the black rustoleum.
What color is the rear end on your 61 DeSoto? I have never seen a stock car with other than black but maybe you can tell. For that matter, maybe I will do a little peeling and see what is under the silver Rustoleum but not until this weekend. The shocks ? It would be good to find someone who knows he has original shocks even if they are just outside in the dirt. One could tell what the color was in most cases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:34 pm 
The rear end looks to have been just bare metal. I really don't see any old paint (after getting about a 1/2 inch of grime off. There seem to have been two blue stripes on the front (snout) of the differential (!) I lilkely will go back black or perhaps a 'cast' color. This will be a driver and not some sort of points car. However I want to get as close as possible to original. Thanks for the help. Shocks black sounds good to me.
Got the springs from Eaton Spring today. I am going to paint them semi gloss black also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:32 am 
Paul: I took a closer look. The rear end is black. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:45 am 
Mike, so you actually found black paint? WHen you said bare metal I was thinking that may have been why my Dad painted the rear end silver Rustoleum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:08 am 
Yes, no doubt. It is black. It has those blue 'stripes' on the snout of the rear end 'pumpkin'. The torsion bars had some narrow green stripes on them that I think were some sort of factory marking.
Of interest, I got a call today from a friend up in Carroll County Ms. He is going to supply some early 60's cars to the production crew for a movie they are making in Greenwood, Ms. It is based on a current popular novel "The Help". Dreamworks Productions is producing. He asked me about the status of "Ruby" (the Desoto). We are not going to be ready for a July date.

Post subject: I agree with..........
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:37 am 
......you, the rear axle is probably black. The shocks are whatever color the jobber supplied. Probably black but could also be something else; what ever was the cheapest paint available that order.

Good Luck
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:57 am 
Mike, the stripes on the torsion bars were there for 2 purposes. The one with 1 stripe goes on Rt. side left side has 2 stripes, the stripes were always to the rear of car. This was for easy identification when assembling. There should be a part number on the rear end of each bar the bar with number ending with an even digit is the right side the 0dd numbered goes to left. As for the rear end housing paint all the steel parts were satin black, the cast parts were not painted. I always use cast blast paint for the cast parts and the brake cylinders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:39 am 
Ron: you are correct about the Part # on those torsion bars.. In fact on the very bottom of the torsion bar it had a L for Left and R for Right. I would like to put the stripes back on like was on the bars. Was the color green? I have done the other parts like you say. I know from experience that anything, including every nut and bolt, without some paint on it is going to rust. We are through with the front end suspension, brakes, steering. Looks new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:28 pm 
Mike, The stripes on the 61 DeSoto were medium green. On cars that used both small block and large block engines the colors were different, they matched up with engine combination. Since the only available engine in the 61 was a 361, all bars were same color. (The bars should be satin black with 1/4" stripes around bar)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:33 am 
Thanks for the stripe info. We have the engine back and will rebuild it here in the next number of days. They bored it 30 over, machined the crank/heads, balanced all. The engine rebuild kit was expensive ($1300 or so); machine work was $1400; cam $100. It still needs new rocker arms and lifters/pushrods which I plan to get. We are looking for a dependable driver. The owner wants to drive the car to some Ole Miss football games in Oxford Ms, about 200 miles from here. The plan is to have the car ready for football season. Thanks for the help.

One other point: I bought the rear U-joint from Kanter ($90 shipped!). These cars have a funky looking ujoint on the front. Does anyone know if someone has these front uJoints? Kanter does not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:20 pm 
The joint on my 61 is still in good shape,on other Mopars I have taken the drive shaft to a shop that specializes in drive shafts and put a spine with a Mechanics joint (or cross joint if you want to call it that) on it and it works just fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:19 pm 
Mike, I don't know who you spoke with at Kanter but they do have the front Detroit Ball & Trunion joints for your car. Their part number for kit without housing is #04533G ($125.00) with housing #04533H ($185.00) There is also a complete kit on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/U-Joint- ... ccessories

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:32 pm 
Ron: I deal with a good guy up there. However, he did tell me that he could only help with the rear uJoint. I will follow up and order the front. We are replacing much of this 50 year old stuff. Thanks for your help.
Mike