View topic - NOS 1951 52 Desoto outer Grill teeth

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:32 am 
Hello all, I find that I have 4 Passenger side ( RHS ) and 3 Drivers side ( LHS ) 51-52 ( I am sure they are the same right? ) NOS outer Grill Teeth. These are not Perfect beautiful Chrome but quite decent, more for a driver than a show car, I will polish them a bit and see how it comes up. I would like to get $50.00 each for them, a bit less for the couple that have the thin bottom piece of the light area broken, say $40.00 for those.
Shipping from Australia of course so keep that in mind, but I am sure you can not buy them at Wal-mart, or even your Local Mopar dealer any more so might be time to get a set of spares.
I have not taken any pictures yet but feel free to email me if you want to see some and i will get it done, George.

Attachments:
1952 Desoto Grill Teeth NOS.JPG
1952 Desoto Grill Teeth NOS.JPG [ 118.74 KiB | Viewed 3398 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:54 am 
Well there he is! He is alive and well and appears to have the house in decent shape - best I can tell. George, please respond to your Customers, if you have not. From what I have seen, Australia can be a tough place to live but still ...
Anyhow, I do not believe the teeth are the same from right side to left. The teeth are canted toward the center so they are not interchangeable. The teeth look good but I would need to see what part is broken and know it is only on two of the teeth. The shippmg would be good to know for sure. I am not going for them because I know others need them. But if none goes for them, they are going to be considered as "open season".

I hope you are doing well and staying healthy. Please keep in touch - it would be a real plus.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:46 am 
Paul, surely you are joking about the pieces not being interchangeable right to left??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:13 am 
Les, no I am not joking. I based my answer on what I see on my car, and I just went and looked again. They could be interchangeable but they are like I said and to add to it the pan slopes to the outside on each side which makes interchangeable less probable. I would have to remove two and verify. I have always kept them in their places and I am thinking it was for good reason. I could be wrong, but it sure does not look like it. You have a 52 - have you mixed your cars teeth up and they all fit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:17 am 
It's good to hear from George. I still marvel at the beautiful lenses and emblem you did for me and the reasonable time frame you did these. I don't know what Paul's bad experience has been, but I can only praise your work and turnaround time on my orders.

As for the 51-52 grille teeth, there are nine teeth in the grille and the parts book shows nine different part numbers which means they are not interchangeable.

Mac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:16 pm 
Paul, it would be easy to confuse the inner teeth.But, we are talking about the outer teeth that has the parking light assembly. Look at the picture again not your 53 grill that is differant. The parking light assembly has to face out. You could not possibly install them on the wrong side with the parking light facing in. In the picture they are facing the wrong way. Even if you are not familiar with the 51-52 grill it is obvious looking at the picture they will not interchange. The inner teeth don't interchange either but it isn't as obvious as the outer teeth.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:46 pm 
George Laurie, to answer your question, the 51-52 grill is the same. They will fit both years you just have to get them on the right side as you already knew.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:46 am 
Seems that Mac just confirmed what I wrote. Thank you Mac. It was good to hear from George and I hope he is doing well and will get business back. Mac, I have no experience with George, only what I read on this site. He needs to contact us if he can not deliver on time. Period. Information exchange is very important to Customer Service.