View topic - 1948 Desoto Long Wheel Base Sedan

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:14 am 

I purchased and am restoring a 1948 Desoto long wheel base sedan s11c custom, It was a retired funeral coach , it sat in a barn for 35 years in home Pennsylvania witch almost became its final resting place, I understand from research that you can not decipher Desoto id # s I am unsure if it is a limo or simply a lwb sedan? maybe someone out there in Desoto land can help me clear this up? Also the car has turning lamps on the front fenders lust behind the front wheels they are a long oval glass lamp, I don't know if they were original or not ? I love this car and want to bring it back to its original glory . any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks Bill.

Attachments:
100_3155.JPG
100_3155.JPG [ 979.54 KiB | Viewed 1430 times ]
100_3151.JPG
100_3151.JPG [ 914.58 KiB | Viewed 1430 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:30 am 

Hola Bill

You can learn more about knowing the car by looking at this link ... http://www.lov2xlr8.no/desoto.html .

The Parking Lot "Spotters Guide" shows ...
The Seven Passenger Sedan has a slick Roof --- like yours and all
Suburban's came with a Roof Rack.

Rodger & Gabby
Colo Spgs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:10 pm 

Take you hand and feel around through the headliner. At the points where a Suburban had the roof rack. If it is a suburban and not a limo them then there will be steel reinforcement with the threaded nuts for the rack to bolt to. Also, in the floor pan, which you can see from under the car there are threaded nuts for the rear seat rails. Also, only the interior of the Suburban has the Bakelite panels. The limo was all mohair.

James.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:47 pm 

Thanks for the Info James ,I now the car is not a suburban, It has jump seats and foot rail. and a clean roof no luggage rack. The thing is I have a Chrysler book that shows production , shipping weight, cost etc, and it says there were 3530 long wheel base sedans produced in a three year period and there were 120 limos produced in the same period 46 47 48. does the fact that my car has fold away jump seats foot rest etc mean that it is a limo? there must be some difference between the two my book tells me there were 7500 suburban's produced and 105 chassis only.

Attachments:
100_3162.JPG
100_3162.JPG [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 1397 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:18 pm 

As I understand it...

The Limo's had the divider window the sedans did not. I may be wrong on that however.

What the data does not show in your book is the many thousands (>8000) of these the long wheel base cars that were made without complete interiors (they had the limo jump seats) to speak of and shipped to Jimmy Waters to be made into taxi cabs for New York and other places.

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/w/waters/waters.htm

It was because of the taxi market that Desoto made money on the long wheel base cars. In 1952 when NY City changed the regs that 5 people has to fit into a taxi, they dropped the long wheelbase cars.

James.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:44 pm 

Thanks James , I guess I will consider my car a long wheel base sedan until I find out otherwise. Thanks Bill