View topic - S-11 grill removal

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

Post subject: S-11 grill removal
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:14 pm 

At our 2016 NDC Convention, I finally found a replace part for the lower right side of my grill for my '48 Custom. Now all I have to do if figure out how to swap out the new part for the old. I've looked in my S-8/S-10/S-11 shop manual, but didn't find anything about how to remove the grill. I'm hoping that I don't have to take out the large center section first, since I'm trying to minimize removing the number of fasteners that probably haven't been touched in the last 68 years since the car was built. But I'm guessing that's not going to be the case. So any helpful hints or instructions would be appreciated.

Bill Noble

Post subject: Re: S-11 grill removal
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:57 pm 

In the likelihood that you'll have to remove more parts than you want to, I'd start spraying fasteners with a penetrating fluid now, instead of later.

I hear from many sources that the best penetrating/rust-eating fluid is a 50/50 mix of automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Mix some up and put it in a spray bottle.....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:38 am 

I'm not certain that I can help, but my '47 grille is out and in pieces, including the fasteners. After pouring through the parts book for months, I've noted how the grille is assembled and what fasteners are used. It's possible that if you are more specific on exactly what part of the grille you wish to remove, I might be able to figure out the best way by working backwards.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:01 am 

David - Thanks. The part I'm planning on replacing is the lower right (passenger) side of the grill that has the turn signal built into it - top half turn signal, bottom half grill. A friend of mine sent me an exploded view of this grill that gives 7-16-11 as a part number for this section, but that seems to be the same number for the entire grill (as well as most of the washers and nuts). Hope this helps.

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:19 pm 

I'll see what I can come up with in the way of photos where fasteners go and the fasteners, etc. and how you might disassemble them without taking the whole thing apart!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:37 pm 

Assuming the S-11 parts books are like those for 55-61, 7-16-11 would mean section 7/sub-heading 16/sub-sub-heading 11 or something like body/grille/pieces

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:45 pm 

I have nine photos of how the grille is attached. I think I should really send them to you off the board if it's okay.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:28 pm 

Yes, please so. My e-mail address is nobledesoto@ameritech.net. Thanks.

Bill