View topic - Sticking clutch plate on a 1929er

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:01 pm 

Dear fellow 1929 Desoto owners,
Perhaps you could advise me from afar..as I am in the UK with my 1929 Desoto K Roadster....apparently the only one in the UK.
When I now depress the clutch pedal it often fails to return with the usual vigor. The clutch pedal spring is in place but it would appear that the clutch plate springs are meeting resistance. If I rev the engine then they suddenly snap back and the clutch will work for a few times before it is all repeated.
Is there some adjustment mechanism to try to resolve this before I resort to taking the gear box off to get to the clutch.
If so is there any on line useful literature on clutch removal and replacement?
Thanks for any interested replies.
Happy motoring,
Peter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:15 pm 

Hi Peter, If you take off the floor boards, there is a cover that can be removed on the bell housing. It is attached with 2 screws. The pilot or "throwout bearing" rides on a sleeve that covers the shaft. That sleeve can sometimes cause fits. I needed to replace mine in my roadster. If this is the problem in yours; I can give you a contact to get replaced. Fred

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:35 pm 

I agree with Fred; also, the sleeve and shaft may be gunked up with old grease, and a cleaning and fresh lube on the shaft may do wonders.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:33 pm 

Dear Fred and Tim,
Excellent...will do and many thanks for this very helpful info. The car has been in a museum for nearly 10 years so dried lube may well be the problem. Currently have the floor board up to renew brake master cylinder piston and rubbers, so will look then.
Cheers to you and all Desoto owners.
Peter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:12 pm 

Hi All,
Can anyone tell me which grade of grease to use on the clutch throw out nipple. I would rather not put the wrong stuff in!
Many thanks,
Peter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:37 am 

Peter,
The lub chart I have from Texaco calls out Texaco MarFak for the Clutch Release Bearing. I have a lub diagram for the whole car if you are interested.
I can take a picture of it and send it to you.

I have not had the sticking problem on my 29 Roadster
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:39 am 

Can you send me a picture of your crankshaft pulley. Mine is cracked but i don't think it is the original. I can't find a picture of what is suppose to look like.
Cheers
Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:49 am 

Hi Steve,
Happy Motoring in 2017. Thank you very much for your helpful reply. My sincere apologies for the long delay in replying as I confess I have not visited the site nor the car since September. The car is located in the warehouse adjacent to our holiday home. I have sparingly lubed the shaft splines and throw out bearing with a recommended grease and more importantly adjusted the clutch pedal so that it does not overly compress the clutch plate. It all seems to be working fine now.
A picture of the lube chart for the car would be most welcome. Could you email it to PeterJeffery2002@aol.com?
I am happy to take a picture of the "crankshaft pulley" when I am next with the car. It may be difficult to get a shot as I assume you mean the pulley at the front end of the crank shaft into which the starting handle locates?
Let me know. Many thanks. Cheers, Peter