View topic - '55 Firedome Charging Problem

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:36 am 

Received a call from member #4520 Robert Egan about his '55 Firedome sedan. Bob contacted me as the '55 model year coordinator but I'm afraid my automotive electrical skills are limited and thus I was not of much help to Bob. Despite a rebuilt generator, new regulator and new wiring he has been unable to resolve the problem of his electrical system not charging the battery. Sounds like he, several friends and a local auto electric shop have been unable to resolve the problem. Any suggestions or ideas to share with Bob?

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:24 pm 

It's difficult to tell with limited information, but there is a procedure in the shop manual for polarizing the fields in the generator. It may not charge following the rebuild until that has been done.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:52 pm 

A second vote for Tim's suggestion. It takes just a second or two to polarize the generator.

My question is, under what conditions does a generator need to be repolarized ? Is it just when it's rebuilt, or every time you disconnect the battery, or ?

Ron

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:56 pm 

I think the shop manuals say that it needs to be done every time the battery is disconnected, but my starter/generator rebuilder guy says that the fields retain residual magnetism for a while, so a routine dead battery or removal of a battery cable doesn't require re-polarizing the fields. When I pick up my rebuilds they are "polarized and ready to go"

However, electricity is voo-doo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:35 pm 

I also think it could be that Bob needs to repolarize the generator.

Ron, I have a battery disconnect switch on my '55 and have left it
disconnected for days, without the need to repolarize.
Before I installed the switch I would just take the cables off, with the same result.
I hope that helps.

With the cruise nights starting up soon, I will be seeing Bob, hopefully with his
beautiful Firedome.

Dean