View topic - 1948 s11c long wheelbase sedan barn find restored

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:22 am 

sharing pictures of my 1948 s11c long wheelbase sedan. I purchased this car on ebay as a barn find a little over a year ago. it was originally a funeral coach, in holm PA. it was put away in a barn for 35 years, and was in very rough ugly shape when I purchased it. if the site allows I will post a before and after picture. although its not complete yet, I have put it on the road to enjoy some local car shows. I hav restored many cars as a hobbyist, this was the most challenging. but the moment I found it on ebay, I wanted to get my hands on it and bring it back to its original elegance.
"
Great idea this picture gallery, I think I earned my bragging rights".
thanks for looking
-Bill Cypher

Attachments:
des.JPG
des.JPG [ 69.67 KiB | Viewed 420 times ]
DSCN1166.JPG
DSCN1166.JPG [ 3.53 MiB | Viewed 421 times ]
DSCN1163.JPG
DSCN1163.JPG [ 3.43 MiB | Viewed 421 times ]
DSCN1168.JPG
DSCN1168.JPG [ 3.11 MiB | Viewed 421 times ]
DSCN1165.JPG
DSCN1165.JPG [ 3.45 MiB | Viewed 435 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:44 am 

Bill...that's some incredible progress in a year's time. The after photos look fantastic! What are those small emblems or lights just past the front wheels?

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:15 pm 

Very Cool!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:16 pm 

MarkKubancik wrote:
Bill...that's some incredible progress in a year's time. The after photos look fantastic! What are those small emblems or lights just past the front wheels?

Mark

Thanks Mark They are lights, I do not think they are original to the car. most likely added years ago to light the ground around the car, maybe because the car was a funeral coach ? The set that was on the car when I bought it were completely shot, However I found a very nice set at Hershey last year, I was very happy to find the exact lights. They seem period correct, ( heavy glass ,pot metal,) One other interesting accessory I found on the car is a device in the trunk that drops sand or grit on the rear tire at the flip of the (gripmaster) switch on the steering column. Gotta love it!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:33 pm 

Super nice! Thanks for sharing. When you get a chance, some intereior shots would be welcome as it probably has the jump seats, etc.

"It's delightful, it's delovely, it's DeSoto"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:14 pm 

Yes it has jump seats ,I have all the seats at a trim shop for resto at the moment but I will send pics when I re install them , My wife and I restored the door panels , and I restored the interior window frames . the seats had to be left to a professional. PS If you look up 1948 Desoto limo barn find you will see plenty of photos and discussion about my car, It kind of went viral on the net when it was for sale .