View topic - Replacement axle

It is currently Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

Post subject: Replacement axle
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:34 pm 

Hello everyone,
The right rear axle in my 60 Fireflite needs to be replaced. Any recommendations for a good vendor? BTW, the part number is 1675448.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Replacement axle
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:44 am 

I think the best answer to your question is:
At first chance the answer would be who ever has one for sale especially if it is NOS.

try any of the vendors that support the club, Bernbaum, Michell, Ed Speigel or Ebay. Take your pick and see what results you get.

Rich HArtung

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:26 am 

Hello Dan,

My experience is that NOS axle shafts are very, very rare. Best suggestion would be to search an old Hollander interchange manual for a cross-reference of other cars whose axles will work. For example, the axle shaft in my '55 DeSoto fits multiple years and brands, i.e., Plymouth, Dodge, Chrysler, etc. A 1675XXX number for your shaft indicates a late '56 or '57 era part number so your shaft likely fits a wide range of cars. Once you know the range, you can begin to hunt old car wrecking yards or cars being parted. Good luck!

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:18 am 

Thanks guys, I received some good info on the DeSoto Facebook page and am following up.